Re: Beowulf cluster (fwd)

Subject: Re: Beowulf cluster

BTW, you forgot to send this to the list...  You question at the bottom
seemed to imply that. ???  If you care to repost this to the list I'm ok
w/ that.

Andrew Martin Adrian Cater wrote:

> > M.C. Vernon wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmm - is beowulf a .deb? and if so, is it in /slink/non-free
> > >
> > It seems to be available as RPM's.  You can use alien to get it
> > installed.
> >
> > > (not that I can offord to have one right now, but maybe....)
> > >
> > Me either.  However, as a consultant I see 486's trashed from time to
> > time...
> >
> > Enjoy -- Greg.
> > --
> > What do you want to spend today?
> > Debian GNU/Linux  (Free for an UNLIMITED time)
> > http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html
> > Greg Vence    KH2EA/4
> >

> > --
> >
> The Beowulf project is one implementation of a cluster - it happens to be
> at NASA in the US.  There's more than one way to build a cluster.  There's
> no such thing as " a beowulf ".  The idea behind a cluster should be:

Yes, however, if you read the URLs I initially indicated, several others
have used the packages that the Beowulf project made.  They tend to call
themselves "Beowulf class" clusters.

> For example:
>
> "We need to render realistic looking sea/characters/views of the Titanic"

I am aware of this project.  In fact, that is the same reason I've been
putting together plans to do the a cluster.  I have an idea for an
animated movie and don't have access to the facilities.  I'm collecting
old 486 boxes and it looks like some places are now dumping old P5's. :)

> --
>
> There is an "Extreme Linux" CD which incorporates some of the software
> used by the Beowulf project at NASA.  It _isn't_ "endorsed by NASA/NASA
> official software" because AFAIK the good people at NASA are Federal
> civil servants - and NASA is prohibited from endorsing products.
> The NASA developed stuff is in the public domain because it has to be -
> again, it's because it's Federally funded and the US Govt. doesn't
> enforce its rights under copyright law for publically funded work.
>
> Essentially, it's RedHat 5, plus a few tweaks.  The good people at
> NASA picked RedHat because it had a packaging system - and Slackware
> / tar.gz source didn't.  They have been asked to provide .tar.gz
> source - but they're busy people doing system maintenance etc
> in addition to their main jobs.
>
> There is _no_reason_ why Debian, especially with Apt as package
> manager and auto-updates, couldn't be _the_ distribution of
> choice.  That's one reason I started to package LAM and
> would be prepared to take over MPICH if it hasn't been
> taken from John Goerzen.
>
> I've only got two machines: I haven't got a massively parallel
> problem: I don't consider myself a computational guru but
> this is a quick summary.  Several systems out there running
> massively parallel/cluster software applications are based
> on Debian: could someone who is actually running one add
> anything to this ??

I realize we could make this stuff packaged by Debian.  I'd like that.
However, I was just commenting on the current availability of software.
I don't have the time or interest to package that.  I'm sure you or John
would

L8r -- Greg.
--

----- End of forwarded message from Greg Vence -----