Checking for changed conffiles

Do we have a clever way of checking which conffiles have changed from
their default state? I can get a list of the conffiles on the system
easily enough but I don't see an obvious way of checking whether they're
different from when the package was first unpacked, since they don't
show up in the MD5 sum listings. (I'd rather not look into the original
packages for comparisons against the virgin conffiles if that is
avoidable.)

Background: I have a number of machines that I'm running Debian on, and
I'd like to make it easier to, e.g., install a new machine by collecting
files such as /etc/printcap, /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf, /etc/X11/XF86Config,
and so on from a `prototype machine' where everything is set up the
right way. It would also make it easier to check exactly what got
changed during the setting up of the computer.

Anselm
There was a power outage at a department store yesterday. Twenty people were
trapped on the escalators.                                    -- Stephen Wright