Re: dpkg suggestion

On Wed, 26 Aug, 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Edward" == Edward Betts <edward@hairnet.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>  Edward> Is that a typo?  pkg-node or pkg-nodep
>
> 	pkg-nodep
>
>  Edward> 22:21:03 $ pkg-nodep > /dev/null
>  Edward> 22:21:29 $
>  Edward> it is a bit slow?
>
> 	Patches for a speedup shall be gratefully accepted.

I have had a look at the code, and I can not see any immediate speed-ups. The
obvious think to do is to copy the sendmail way, when the database gets to
large, in our case the dpkg package database and in the case of sendmail the
aliases database, start representing it as a database instead of text. Great,
at the moment I can right a quick awk script to look for stuff in the dpkg
database of packages, that I could not if it was a database. But that agument
falls apart when you relise that I can not do any real work like that because
the stuff I am working on is not going to stay on the same place on the
machine. At some point /var/lib/dpkg will become /var/state/dpkg, and who
knows it might change again.

Give it up, dpkg, dselect, pkg-order they are all to slow, it is time to drop
the need for text files for large databases.

If you really wanted you could have a program that would dump an identical
text file from the database.

--
Edward Betts