Re: Naming of new 2.0 release

[ Please don't Cc: public replies to me. ]

Martin Schulze:
> The problem of increasing the version number such as releasing 2.0.1
> and 2.0.2 is that many people, vendors, book stores etc. will think
> that this is a completely new version of Debian and the "old" ond
> is obsolete.

For what it's worth, I as a customer strongly disagree with the fact
that I don't know what release a Debian CD has. If 2.0r1 has important
security fixes (and it probably does), and I buy a 2.0 CD from a vendor,
I _really_ don't want to have to compare the CD to what is on ftp.funet.fi
to see if I need to update things further.

I understand the problems for the vendors, but I don't agree that they're
important enough to warrant not changing the version number. Using "r1"
is just ignoring the problem.

However, I'm not willing to fight over this.