Re: Copyright from the lcs-projekt!? [dwarf@polaris.net: Re: First cut at testing and validation]

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Michael Bramer wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 1998 at 10:18:09AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> > > This is the point!
> > >
> > > Why would Debian lie to ours users about the conformance of our systems?
> > > Our name (Debian) would soon be mud when third party programs failed to
> > > run on our system because it really wasn't compliant.
> > >
> > > Debian (and the others distribution) don't lie the users. (In the LJ: 'XXX
> > > isn't LCS conform. ... The LCS program on this distribution lie the Users...'
> > > A nice headline in the press.)
> > >
> > So you seem to agree that your arguments based on "your" suggested
> > alternate script have no basis, since Debian would never do that.
> >
> > Seems we agree ;-)
>
> not in all points :-(
>
> Debian don't change LCS programs in a way, that the program say: 'conform'
> but the System is not conform.

I have no idea what idea you are trying to express here. If Debian does
not change in any way, and the program says it is conformant, why would
the system not comform? The program reports "This system is conformant"
when all the libs and programs are in the "correct" place. When Debian
conforms, the program will say so.

> But Debian may change 'Pathnames', 'Language' and so.

Not with this copyright, and that is just as it should be.

> And with this Copyright, Debian can't do this. Debian can not support it!

Do you mean that Debian can not support the standard? Bull.

POSIX and ANSI are both very proprietary documents. Debian has no problems
conforming to them. Why should this standard be any less supportable.

If you mean the program can not be "supported" by Debian, then that is
exactly what the copyright intends. For Debian, support means package and
change, neither of which are desired by this program.

BTW, I seem to have been unsubscribed from all debian list server mailing
lists, so I'm not recieving any of the list traffic on this. Probably a
blessing in disguise.

Luck,

Dwarf