Re: Copyright from the lcs-projekt!? [dwarf@polaris.net: Re: First cut at testing and validation]

Several of my prevoius posting to the list have been bouncing. The Debian
list server is bouncing mail from nexus.polaris.net (which was the mail
server I have been using), so I have switched to a different server to see
if I can get back to the lists. Those who got only the reply I sent
directly to them may repost it to the list if they wish.

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Michael Bramer wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 10:23:02PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Philip Hands wrote:
> > > I'd assumed the code was just an implementation of the standard.
> > >
> > None of you even bothered to look at the code that the copyright covers,
> > did you?
> >
> > The "code" under copyright is four (five? ;-) while loops, that read lines
> > from particular files and check to see that the items from the list are
> > found on the current system. If any fail, a message posts the line from
> > the file and flips the flag. The final message is based on which way the
> > flag is flipped. I freely release this algorithm to the world, for
> > whatever that is worth ;-)
>
> What is with: ./lcs-libtest
> (BTW: is the pathname in the program right?)

You are the first person to ask this, congratulations!

I posted comments about this in a recent posting, but I'm not sure that it
made it to the lists.

This program (lcs-libtest) will run C code test routine against the
various libraries that the LSB specifies.

It is my intention to release these test routines in a different code
framework, as version 2.0, under the GPL. These routines will have a
broader usefulness outside the standards testing programs, and will not
change the standard if they are modified.

> It is also so simple?
>
> And:
> Copyright is not a question on the length or complex of the code!

Absolutely! While others have been concerned about the "triviality" of
this code, that is clearly not an issue. I can copyright this e-mail if I
so desire...but so what ;-)

> Code like:
>    michael@titanic:~ > cat /usr/bin/which
>    #!/bin/bash
>    unalias -a
>    unset -- "$@" &> /dev/null
>    enable -n -- "$@" &> /dev/null
>    type -p "$@"
> must DFSG-free too!
>
> Or not?

It may certainly have a copyright by its author. DFSG free is only a
requirement of Debian, not the world. Many other distributions would/could
use this code, even with a fairly restrictive license, not that such a
license would have much value.

Thanks,

Dwarf