Re: Copyright from the lcs-projekt!? [dwarf@polaris.net: Re: First cut at testing and validation]

On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 06:02:20PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Jules Bean wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > > Today I have read the first time from the lcs projekt.
> > >
> > > After that I subcrib the lcp-en mailing list and found a eMail from
> > > Dale Scheetz. In this eMail he send program code this a copyright.
> > > I have ask him, to change the copyright to a DFSG-free copyright.
> > >
> > > This is the answer:
> >
> > IMHO, the 'validate' program should be modifiable, but should have a
> > clause dictating that any modified version must be distributed under a
> > different name, and clearly marked as such.
>
> And just what purpose would this "new" forked version serve? Validate a
> different standard? Do some other job instead?

A thought:
We (debian) make a program to validate a debian system. (for cd-roms to
put 'official Debian CDRom' on the cover) Now we must write a new program.
A sec. thought:
I maintain X-Terms. On this Terms I check the files time to time. (with diff
etc) With this program I can change my check program to a program like
validate..

> What "useful algorithm" am I keeping out of the hands of the rest of the
> community by not allowing modification? The major portion of this package,
> which is not visible in the script I published are the files containing
> the lists of objects being checked. Change one character in any of these
> lists and the validation proceedure will no longer be useful.
>
> This is a piece of software that serves a specific, narrow, purpose.
> Allowing it to be modified only dilutes the strength of the test and the
> standard.
>
> > Furthermore, the LCS team could have on their websites the sizes and
> > md5sums of 'validate' (and any other scripts, and documents, which have
> > similar issues attached to them).  This means that it is possible to
> > verify a given copy of 'validate' as being correct, buyt still distribute
> > it as free software.
> >
> This is already the plan. The tarball of the validation suite will be
> found along with a README.lcs-validate that will give the md5 sum for the
> tarball to ensure the proper result.

with this tarball the user or system admin is on the save side.

> I know that technically this is software, but I suggest that it is far
> more like a pgp key. Do you see any advantage in being able to change the
> contents of the developers keyring? Is there any reason why it should be
> DFSG compliant? I see this validation suite as serving the same purpose.
> It can't serve that purpose and be totally free in the DFSG terms.

I can change the public pgp code! But this key is not usefull. Like the
Program and the data-files from the lcs projekt.
And I can change the keyring. I can remove keys and add keys and I have one
usefull keyring.
If I like make a verify of a superset from the lcs files, I like to add new
data entries to the data file and make a verify run...

--
Michael Bramer - a Debian Certified Linux Developer        http://www.debian.org
PGP: finger grisu@master.debian.org   --   Linux Sysadmin   --  Use Debian Linux