Re: "goals" for slink: FHS

Hi,
>>"Brian" == Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:

 >> I believe we will take exception to these parts of the FHS, and I
 >> think we should adopt some official statement to that effect:
 >>
 >> 6.1.5  /usr/include : Header files included by C programs
 >>
 >> These symbolic links are required if a C or C++ compiler is installed.
 >>
 >> /usr/include/asm -> /usr/src/linux/include/asm-<arch>
 >> /usr/include/linux -> /usr/src/linux/include/linux

 Brian> I think the "asm" and "linux" directories should be real
 Brian> instead of symlinks since we don't require the presence of the
 Brian> linux source.  What about making them "alternatives" that
 Brian> would point to /usr/src/linux if the kernel-source package was
 Brian> installed?

	Please look at the latest libc6-dev packages in slink. There
 is no symlink anymore, we have arrived at a better integrated and
 robust solution. Secondly, the kernel-source package shall no longer
 provide an untarred source tree. This takes care of the objections to
 using a .deb as a source format that Ian had raised. (technical
 objections, I mean -- there were a lot of opinions and preferences
 that I ignored).

	manoj

--
 He who does violence to creatures seeking happiness like himself does
 not find happiness after death. 131