slink: network troubles? known issue?

about a week ago I did a apt-get dist-upgrade pointed at unstable and
went to bed. When it was finished my syste had troubles. I havn't
gotten around to asking before but...I am wondering if this si a known
issue.

The first thing I did after all the packages installed was bringing up
a new PPP connection...it came up fine BUT when I tried to ping
ANYTHING I got an "operation not permitted" through the ppp connection
(brough UP AFTER the install) ...ping worked fine over eth0
I brought DOWN all network interfaces and brought them back up
(even rebooted) then I got the same erro on BOTH lo AND eth0!!
Every interface I brought up AFTER the install did this.

I reinstalled from backup to fix this problem...I wasn't able to play with
it longer to try to find an offending package (my girlfriend gets pissy
when my computer is down cuz it is the gateway for the network ;) )

Is this a known issue? any ideas on what package could be offending?
I am not too well versed on the intricacies of the network drivers
...but my kernel is my own custom compile of 2.0.35 and did not change
(also all network drivers are compiled into the kernel...I have almost
NO modules...I like monolithic kernels)

thinking netbase maybe? (btw ping wasn't all that didn't work...name
sevrer lookup didn't work, telnet...etc)
-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"