Re: Adaptec SCSI problem with hamm install

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Thomas "Recent-Mutt-Convert" Vaughan wrote:

> After hearing me rave about my wonderful experiences with Debian, a friend
> of mine asked me to help him install Debian on his machine at work.
> He has been using Slackware, and has noticed that although the 2.0.33
> kernel works well for him, the 2.0.3[45] kernels fail to boot because
> of a problem with the Adaptec driver.  I seem to recall that the hamm
> rescue disk at one time used the 2.0.33 kernel, and so I tried to find
> an older version of the install disks.  Alas, no such luck.
>
> Does anyone have an idea about how I might install Debian on his machine?

Mount the rescue floppy under /mnt (it is msdos formatted) and follow the
readme to change the kernel.  You will probably need to compile a custom
one, but this shouldn't be a problem since you have a debian box handy.
BTW, has anyone ever done this with modules?  Just a curiosity question.

Good luck,
Brandon (hoping for a near-perfect kernel one day)