Re: debian-brazilian

Eduardo Marcel Macan wrote:

>         You can count me in, in fact I was already investigating what
> would it take for us to have multilanguage package descriptions available
> but had not much time to look into that. Where do the packages files come
> from? from the control file inside each package, right?

	I do not understand anything about the Debian technicalities... I won't
be able to dedicate time to learn technicalities for some months now,
but could handle the language part.  Later if I manage to get rid of
some responsabilities, I could use some Debian tutorials in order to be
able to contribute more.

>         We could have multiple description files or sections inside the
> control file, so we could contribute translations to each package
> maintainer to be included, defaulting to the english version if a
> translation is not available. That would reduce the work to translating
> the descriptions of the packages and the install disks.

	Yes, the whole Brazilian Debian shouldn't be delayed because a less
important, more technical, less often used doco isn't translated yet.

>         I think this is more important than translating the messages
> inside each program (IMHO they should remain untouched) a next step would
> be to have an easy and consistent keymap configuration for X and for
> "ascii mode".

	I think the GNU project has already guidelines for
internationalization.  Programs such as tar can already give Portuguese
messages, depending on an environment variable.  Perhaps we should
tackle the Debian particularities only -- documentation, installation
and maintenance programs -- and then contribute to the GNU
internationalization.  Even if Linux is not GNU only, GNU is the basis
for the whole system, and once GNU is done you can use the experience
you've mastered to internationalize other programs.  Also, all work done
on the GNU portion of Debian GNU/Linux will benefit the Debian GNU/Hurd.

--
Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corcete Dutra
http://www.lge.com.br./ 			leandro@lge.com.br