Re: POSIX shell; bash ash pdksh & /bin/sh

On 4 Aug 1998, Martin Mitchell wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
>
> > 	Because I have gotten used to the fact that if I say
> >  #!/bin/bash; I shall find something. Not only I, but packages, and
> >  doubtless other users have too. Do we really want to go rooting
> >  thorough packages and forcing packages that use /bin/bash to declare
> >  explicit dependencies? Is this effort justified?
>
> No, I can see no good reason why bash should not remain an essential,
> required package in Debian. IMO its functionality is better than any
> other shell I've tried.

Not having investigated the differences all that thoroughly, I will
nonetheless point out that zsh has a few advantages.  From a technical
point of view, it is moving towards a DSO architecture, and from a users
point of view, it has some really clever completion and customisation
options.  Neither of these make it particularly suitable as a system
shell, but they make it good for a user shell.

Jules