Re: POSIX shell; bash ash pdksh & /bin/sh

Hi,

	I think you are confused about what is being discussed
 here. It is not whether we can replace /bin/sh with a non bash
 shell. I think we shoul try and test alternates.

	The issue under doscussion is whether bash should be
 essential, and whether one has reasonable expectation of finding
 /bin/bash on a Debian sstem/

	These are really independent issue -- your mesage confuses
 them and jumps from one to the other. Please read other messages in
 this thread.

>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 Marcus> Hello Manoj,

 Marcus> Why can't we easily do away with it?

	Because I have gotten used to the fact that if I say
 #!/bin/bash; I shall find something. Not only I, but packages, and
 doubtless other users have too. Do we really want to go rooting
 thorough packages and forcing packages that use /bin/bash to declare
 explicit dependencies? Is this effort justified?

 Marcus> 1) Make all shell scripts either posix clean or call
 Marcus>    "#!/bin/bash"

	I think you are confused. If I call /bin/bash, and no such
 thing exists, is it a bug?

 [rest of message snipped, since it is really not the issue here]

--
 Humanity is exalted not because we are so far above other living
 creatures, but because knowing them well elevates the very concept of