Re: Several reason a minimal POSIX /bin/bash is a bad idea

> Hi,
>  Clint> Already in use?  There are presently no instances of bash
>  Clint> running on my system, and the only script I can find which
>  Clint> uses bash is /etc/init.d/rc.
>
> 	Then you are not running Debian (Essential, required
>  package). If I were a conspiracy theorist, this is the time to accuse
>  you of trying to sabotage Debian by making us change our shell.

That's not entirely fair...

I use bash as my login shell, and even with 37 processes running, and
an X environment, I only have one instance of bash running.  Almost all
the programs I am running are started by X, in one way or another.  The
only bash is the shell for the xterm I typed "top" into.  If bash
weren't my login shell, I wouldn't have any.

A quick survey of scripts in various directories on my system turns up
the following:

  # of bash-script         Directory
  ================         ===================
  0                        /bin
  3                        /sbin
  8                        /usr/bin
  4                        /usr/sbin
  1			   /etc/init.d
  23                       /var/lib/dpkg/info
  1                        /etc/cron.*

And I don't have a complete system.
--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our