Re: what options do we have was Re: POSIX shell\; bash ash pdksh \& /bin/sh

Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:

>Looks like there is a general myth that ash is somehow lacking in
>POSIX features.  Let me say this once and for all, as far as POSIX is
>concerned, ash is about as close as you can get to /bin/sh.

If you're right, then the ash man page needs fixing:

       The current version of sh is in the process of being
       changed to conform with the POSIX 1003.2 and 1003.2a spec-
       ifications for the shell.  This version has many features
       which make it appear similar in some respects to the Korn
       shell, but it is not a Korn shell clone (run GNU's bash if
       you want that).  Only features designated by POSIX, plus a
       few Berkeley extensions, are being incorporated into this
       shell.  We expect POSIX conformance by the time 4.4 BSD is
       released.  This man page is not intended to be a tutorial
       or a complete specification of the shell.

(This is from ash 0.3.4-2, which AFAIK is the latest release for
hamm.)

                             - Jim Van Zandt