Priorities of MH and nmh packages

Hello Debian developers,

The MH message handling system is no longer being maintained by the upstream
developers.  Around two years ago, someone took the existing MH version and
created a derivative called nmh.  Since then, bugs have been fixed, and
functionality has been added; nmh is still under active development.

nmh is, except for very few special cases, compatible with MH.  Existing
front ends like exmh and mh-e don't really care whether they run on top of
MH or nmh.

In hamm, the package MH has priority Standard, and nmh has priority
Optional.  In fact, this is in violation of policy since the two packages
conflict.

The maintainers of MH (Adam P. Harris) and nmh (myself) have agreed that for
slink, we'd like to keep nmh in Optional, but "degrade" MH to priority Extra.

If there are no objections, we'll go ahead and take the appropriate action
to get the priorities changed.

Greetings,

Ruud de Rooij.
--