Re: Configuration management, version 5

Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@wiggy.ml.org> wrote:
> Hmm, unless we give each variable a default-priority and make it
> possible for the script to change it.

Ok.

> That's not what I meant. If someone uses SNMP to change (for example)
> to change the NNTP-server we should use, something needs to act upon
> that change to reconfigure all newsreaders to use that new host.

That's outside the scope of dpkg's installation mechanisms. Better idea
would be to integrate this as the target of some networked configuration
mechanism.

Given some mechanism to configure multiple machines (be it some improved
form of linuxconf, cfengine, or whatever), the configuration database
to be used by dpkg installation scripts could be given some kind of
"not installed yet" placeholder name.

--
Raul