Re: POSIX shell; bash ash pdksh & /bin/sh

Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

> Regardless, I plan to update the bash package to the latest upstream
> this weekend, and I will make /bin/sh an alternative.  I recommend
> that the other POSIX shells in Debian also offer alternatives but at
> LOWER alternatives than bash.  The default /bin/sh on Debian will be
> bash, but the sysadmin can thus change it if he wishes.  Does anybody
> have any objections to this?

It would be a good idea to point out that the shell providing the
alternative should be in /bin, which is easy to forget and a nuisance
to discover.  This allows the use of ash, but rules out ksh and zsh.

(I'm not saying anything about how good zsh's POSIX sh compatibility
is, but it does exist, and it's smaller than bash.)

	    "As a concept, virtual reality seems to appeal
              to people who spend a lot of time indoors."  - Gregory Benford