blas, lapack, slatec,scalapack

	These are some of the more popular libraries from netlib
(according to access statistics) . Lapack is packaged for debian already.
I have been looking at the others. slatec did not have any makefiles or
nice structure.  I added enough to build static and shared libs.
	But there are a few routines in slatec which contain machine
specific data on word size, etc.  I am not sure what values to enter for
these. One is supposed to set these in the blas source as well. However,
in the debian lapack source, which includes blas, I can not find any trace
of the machine dependent files.  I don't use the library, so I don't know
if it's useful without these.  Does anyone have information on this ?
	scalapack, which appears to be actively developed relies on
an installed blas library.  Perhaps we could build a separate blas library
from the lapack source (the stand alone blas source is a mess) , or maybe
make a sym link to liblapack for programs that want libblas.

	John

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>