Re: Several reasons why debian should not use bash for /bin/sh

On Sat, Aug 01, 1998 at 03:34:35PM +0300, Jaakko Niemi wrote:
> >> On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 at 10:46:01AM +0200, Dr. Michael Meskes wrote:
> >>
> >> I once lost my /etc directory completely. This is what *I* call a destroyed
> >> system, but I was still able to recover (very slowly).
>
>  When I do backups, I only take /etc and /home, everything else I can
>  afford to lose.

You most certainly also want /var/lib/dpkg, or else you won't be able to use
dpkg any more! (Recovering from that is possible, but very time consuming,
as all information about installed packages is gone then).

>  Hmm. A small package to do a tarball from /etc periodically..  not even
>  worth package, just a cron script to make etc_date.tar.gz and keep lets
>  say every mondays packages for a year and delete everything else after
>  a week. Or once a day check /etc and subdirs, if contain files that have
>  been changes since last time would be better...

Yeah, well, the machine in question was just installed and configured, so I
didn't had backups then. Was the first I did after recovery :)

Marcus