Re: Intent to move mysql-base and mysql-dev to main

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@rising.com.au> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 at 10:35:15PM +0200, David Frey wrote:
> > ed

> > > Hmmm... it is, we are distributing it for non-free.
> > Which makes the whole thing non-free (from the policy manual):
> >
> > In addition, the packages in "main"
> >
> > must not require a package outside of "main" for compilation or
> > execution (thus, the package may not declare a "Depends" or
> > "Recommends" relationship on a non-main package),
>
> But that is for binary packages. My suggestion was that a pristine
> copy of the source would exist in main to build the free components,
> and another pristine copy of the source would exist in non-free to build
> the non-free components. I think this makes the upstream source handling
> much cleaner, and I'm not convinced that is breaches any policies/licenses.

When I asked about this a few months ago, people seemed what our
policy on this was. At least for mysql, the non-free source files are
clearly marked, and the upstream configure/make scripts handled their
absence quite well. This might not be true for other mixed sources.

In any case, the dirty deed has now been done... the mysql
base/dev/doc packages for main are now in Incoming. I opted for a
stripped-down upstream source with an explanation in README.debian as
to how it was done. The files that remain in the 'freebits' source are
unchanged from the upstream source; my source changes and debian/
directory are in the diff, as usual.

I wonder what havoc having existing packages change distributions will
play with dselect... ;-)

Scott

--
Scott Hanson <shanson@shcon.com>  <shanson@debian.org>