Re: CD README's

On 28 Jul 1998, Adam P. Harris wrote:

> Will Lowe <harpo@UDel.Edu> writes:
> > > choose" among the provided CDs.
> > Alright,  I can see how that could be a problem.
> >
> > > The fact that I tend to unpack HOWTOs and FAQs for view "before" the
> > > install, and do other little "touches" to make life easier, means that I
> > > can not say I have the "Official Debian Release" because of the
> > > constraints we wish to place on the use of "Official".
> > This also.
> >
> > I suppose that the issue is really about the correct distribution of
> > the binary packages -- the sources and other things don't really concern
> > the novices,  who are the ones we're trying to help with the whole
> > "official" effort.  I'll agree that it's silly that you don't produce
> > "official" debian CDs because you unzip the docs.
> >
> > Is there some way that we can assure that the binaries get out ok?

My personal suggestion is to call yourself a modified version of the
official cd.  Throw your name on it.  That way, people have a general idea
of what you are distributing (although maybe not exactly), and may
purchase your cd's in the future because they like your modifications.
Another option is to distribute the official cd's and add an extra cd of
your stuff, but that may not be appropriate for your situation.

HTH,
Brandon

P.S. I don't know debian's stand on the term "modified official cd".

                                    --+--
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu> | Debian Testing Group Status
PGP Key:   finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu |  http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/deb/
    Dijkstra probably hates me (Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)