Re: RH and GNOME

> > > So far, Red Hat as been pretty consistent about licensing everything
> > > with GNU's GPL. Considering some of the recent discussions here, they
> > > might even be more solidly in support of GNU's GPL than we are.
> >
> > Are you mad? RedHat doesn't even acknowledge the GNU component of their
> > system. `RedHat Linux', not `Gnu Linux'.
> >
> > I trust RedHat about as far as I can spit, and not that far.
>
> C'mon, please be fair.  RedHat produces GPL software.  RedHat produces
> a distribution of their own.  RedHad makes even more people use Linux
> instead of some commercial crap.  These things are GOOD.  So please
> be fair.
>
> It is a major win for Linux to have a variety of similar things.
> You can chose between Debian, Redhat, SuSE, Slackware etc.  You can
> chose between KDE and Gnome, you can chose between proftpd and wu-ftpd,
> you can chose between in.fingerd, kfingerd and cfingerd etc. pp.  This
> is a major win for all Linux (and Unix) users.  Please honor this.

I concede to this as probably the only argument that I'd agree with that
supported RedHat. I -do- believe in freedom of choice, but I think that
people should be made more aware that there -IS- a choice ... something
RedHat (for obvious reasons) doesn't want to do.

Here's an experiment for the masses.. go to www.redhat.com and find
information, within a few clicks, that RedHat is available for free
download. Heck, find Linux referred to as a free operating system anywhere
on the front page!

Good luck. ;>

> > RedHat, being a commercial company with interests ranging only in making
> > money (And to do this, they have to maintain their reputation -- which is
> > why they want to come off as benifiting the free software community), is
> > on no-ones side but their own.
>
> This is the major concern on this topic.  Then again they've stated
> that the RHAD labs are independet from the RedHat distribution.  Then
> again they've also hired Alan Cox and the kernel still it not a RedHat
> thing.

> Regards,
>
> 	Joey

Respect,