Re: Should we ship KDE in hamm?

Stephan Kulow <coolo@kde.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Most of the things, Francesco listed, are simply misdocumentations and
> should be fixed for making the copyright issue more clear. I don't want
> to go into the details here, but you're right, that
>
> 1. the hamm packages leak some documentation about the whole copyright
> issue
> 2. the hamm packages are about three months in behind of the development
>
> While 2. is true, I would consider it a good option for debian CD users
> to have a test field, so they can learn about KDE and try a newer version
> laster. If 1. is a problem for you, feel free to remove them.

If it's true that the versions of packages in hamm are significantly behind
the ones in slink (enough so that we'd be better off encouraging people to go
straight to the slink versions), then that gives a technical justification for
pulling the packages, and I think we should do it.

[Stephan, could you give us an idea of how the hamm and slink packages compare]

There seems to be a fair range of opinion on this issue, but since there
doesn't seem to be anyone that will start foaming at the mouth if we pull the
packages out of hamm, whereas a few are already foaming at the idea of
leaving them in, we should probably remove them in the interests
of our common sanity ;-)

I'd like to get this decided today if possible, and I've no idea how to
develop a strong enough consensus either way in that sort of time frame.

If there's anyone that feels strongly that KDE should not be removed from
hamm, please speak up now.

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. Personally, I think that having become aware of the problem, we should
make some effort to address it, but in order to be consistent, we should
also be pulling GPL'd binaries linked against Motif etc. and I'm not sure
how practical that is this close to release.  That being the case, I'm not
too bothered about KDE & hamm, although I think we should sort it out as soon
as possible after the release for KDE, Motif and any other similar packages.