Re: Kaffe 1.0 beta debian package...

On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 05:03:00AM -0300, Lalo Martins wrote:
> On Jul 15, Ean Schuessler decided to present us with:
> > It's at http://www.novare.net/~ean/kaffe
> >
> > It's my first packaging effort, so, be gentle.
>
> Actually I downloaded a .deb from the kaffe ftp site, the same
> directory where the source is. If they're willing to maintain
> it, we could check (lintian) it and explain to them what they're
> doing wrong assuming they are (the package seems OK to me)
>
> []s,
>                                                |alo
>                                                +----

It's the same deb. I told Tim that I had packaged it.

As to whether or not Kaffe is usable for real work, it runs many real
pieces of code. The pizza compiler and ANTLR by themselves are significant
programs and run good. It won't run 1.0.2 awt code at all.

I see no reason why we should not treat Kaffe as a real option for Java
development. The Transvirtual crew use Kaffe and Pizza for the development
of the project itself, which is not insignificant. Furthermore, the Kaffe
system is the only DFSG compliant Java subsystem even vaugly ready for
prime time. As far as a real Debian distribution goes (Freeware) Kaffe
is the _only_ jvm we can offer. Who knows, Stallman might want to write
some GPL java code. We should give people like him the tools to do so.