Re: Potentially serious problem with kernel-headers...

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> For the package in question, it allows you to install the
> kernel-header-2.0.34 package without effecting other libc6 development
> work, and thus allows you to construct special programs requiring
> "non-standard" header files.
>
> Is there something I can add to the FAQ that will make this issue more
> clear?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dwarf

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I guess my concern is this.  The
hamm kernel headers package is 2.0.32, right?  So most hamm applications
are compiled with those headers.  If I'm a normal user, and I upgrade to
kernel 2.0.34, binaries from hamm that used to work could potentially start
blowing up in my face, due to inconstitencies in the kernel interfaces
between 2.0.32 and 2.0.34.  And all I did was upgrade my kernel!

What I think the whole thing with "cdparanoia" has proved is that this
isn't a hypothetical situation - it's shown up for at least one
application.  That's my concern.

Later,
	Dale
--
| Dale E. Martin |  Clifton Labs, Inc.  |  Senior Computer Engineer    |