Re: dpkg hooks (was Re: Upgrade report from "bo" to "hamm")

Dan Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 01, 1998 at 02:27:30PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > 	Essentially, whenever dpkg currently run a script, I want to
> >  replace that by a hook being run, with the hooks defaulting to the
> >  current behaviour
> >
> > 	People have wondered in the past if old buggy postrm scripts
> >  can be removed. Now, we can just remove-hook old buggy scripts, as we
> >  wish ;-)
> >
> > 	The mechanism is almost frighteneing in its power ;-)
>
> Beautiful!  Now if we can come up with an implementation... :)
>
> Dan

Isn't a simple script in /var/lib/dpkg/hooks/<hookname> su

The default can look something like:

----------------------
#!/bin/perl
my($package, $hook, @args)=@_;

system("/var/lib/dpkg/info/$package.$hook &join(" ",@args)");

Sorry for perl fans, they're a lot of time since I write *ANY* script.
But I think you can catch the idea.

Regards,

Fabien Ninoles                               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
aka Corbeau aka Baffouille                         The Freedom of Choice
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                      http://www.callisto.si.usherb.ca/~94246757
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70