Re: libc6_2.0.7r-3 considered harmful

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:
> How many people have been bitten by this since the bug was found ?
> We should have been able to prevent this damage in some way --- even
> if it means having no libc6 available for a couple of days, this
> seems preferable to breaking people's systems when we could avoid
> it.

Well, in my mind, the real way to fix this sort of thing is by
reworking our release engineering process.  No packages should
propogated into stable (or beta) unless it has been tested by X number
of people, where X > 2.  Testers are just users or developers who
install the package on a supported platform (i.e., stable or frozen)
and ensure that the pkg functions.  Ideally we have regression testing
for *everything*, but I think that's a pipe dream.

I like some of the new release engineering proposals people have put
forward.  I wish someone would summarize (a) what it would take to
organize and implement a new release engineering process, and (b) of
the proposals raised, which is the best and most practical?