Re: No time to package Linuxconf

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Philip Hands wrote:

> > It seems I bit off a little more than I could chew when I said I'd
> > package linuxconf, b/w my job, the few small packages I maintain, trying
> > to keep up with my e-mail and doing the LSB I am too busy to do anything
> > with linuxconf, I did a little work on getting linuxconf packaged (I got
> > it to compile, packaged up monolithly, and installable), but it doesn't
> > work fully, doesn't act as an init, and is mostly not working, as it
> > needs some work (which the author seems willing to do) to understand debian.
> >
> > I'd appreciate if s/o can take this off my hands, I'll try to work on it
> > otherwise, but I can't promise anything.
>
> I was wondering what happened to this.  Where are the bits you've done so far ?

I have them, as I never got it into any really usuable form for debian I
never uploaded them anywhere.  I can either e-mail them to you, or upload
them to your ftp site (sorry, can't allow anonymous ftp).

> I'll have a look, and probably take it on --- last time I tried to compile it
> I failed miserably, but if I get something semi-functional out of, I'm willing
> to maintain it.

It compiles out of the box pretty well.  It even is easy to make sure it
builds in a tmp directoy b/c of the work done for rpm.  I had to make a
little patch to it b/c of a bug (acc. to it's author) in our libc6-dev,
with the ipx headers, the headers seem to reference data that is not
defined, i.e. it bombs out on compile even though linuxconf doesn't use
the data it bombs out on.  So I just commented out the ifdef glibc and it
seemed to work fine, though that probably was the WRONG (tm) way to do
it, and possibly could break it in other ways, I just didn't have the
time to investigate why libc6-dev was broken  Besides that, it compiles
out of the box (I was using the old g++ as I rememberd last summer it was
breaking with newer g++'s (i.e. pgcc's), I don't know if it was fixed).
I wasn't able to compile the gui frontend b/c it seems wxxt1g-dev has
been removed.  There is also a gtk frontend, that might be in the gnome
cvs, as it's not in the linuxconf source.

Thanks,

Shaya