Re: Modem Script Generator

On 3 Jul 1998, Brederlow wrote:

> Mike Giardino <mgiardin@ssc.usm.edu> writes:
>
> > I'm new to debian linux so I thought I'd ask here about the usefulness of
> > what I am trying to develop. I have used Slackware for a couple years now
> > and at my new job I am finally learning to program well. I always
>
> How extensively do you want the generator to be?

I think it will be pretty extensive hopefully.

> Should it pop up with a dialog/newt/<anything similar> frontend and

Actually at the moment it is just a bunch of perl that asks you varuious
questions, for all things having a base default value.

> ask you for you phone number, your IP (if static) and so on and then
> write a perfect[tm] script to disk?

All that and remote IP if you need that, netmask, init string (there is a
default) modem device, speed, and a few other thigns as well.

> I realy would like such a thing, because I heard from several people
> needing it.

I agree.

> Be warned now, if you do it, it will grow bigger than you think. There
> are lots of posible ways to configure the modem, the protocol to use,
> the permissions who might dial or autodialing and so on.

Yeah, as of now it just creates a file with only user executable
permissions. I figured that most people wouldn't install this script on
their ISP. :) But true, there are many things that need to be added.

> Once you have some code there, I'm sure there will be people helping
> out. The hard part is to get started and to get people to use it. :)

That's good news :).

> May the Source be with you.
> 			Mrvn

John Hasler emailed me and told me about pppconfig. Could someone who has
it tell me about how it compares (I mean, in features, not whether it is
better or worse). I would d/l it but I have to email from work b/c I
havn't paid my ISP bill in a few. Soon I should be able to d/l it. :)

Michael Giardino
<mgiardin@ssc.usm.edu>