Re: non-free and "cd-ok", again

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Lalo Martins wrote:

> Sorry to bring this topic up again, I'm very sick of it already.
> But reading the GTK-Mozilla thread in ./ I just noticed what's
> the point onf people who advocate this.

./ ?

Would that be www.dotslash.org?  Never been there...

;-)

> There are plenty of programs in non-free which have absolutely
> no restrictions on distributions; these are in non-free because
> either
>
> 1: you can't modify it
> 2: there are restrictions in its use (like, no commercial use)
> 3: there are no sources

OK.

There does seem to be a limited case for creating a separate 'tag' for
products which fail points 1 and 3 above.  Maybe even 2.

This certainly gets around any complexities of sorting through
distribution agreements.  The point here is products which are
unambiguously freely distributable, but non-free for other reasons.

Having said that, I'm not going to do it... but if someone else thinks it
is important, no one will object if they start to build a list
themselves..

And then, from this list, other distributors could choose which software
to put on their CDs.

But this would be 'Debian Plus' - not Debian.  Because we don't believe in
non-free software.  (Oops, and there's me using mysql.  Caught myself
out.. ;-)

Jules