Re: DPKG documentation: programmer.ps

Marc Singer wrote:
> The Web site shows that the 'best' eay to learn about creating .deb
> packages is to refer to the documentation in programmer.ps.  Does this
> advice still hold?  I'd like to package some programs I've written and
> could use some help.

Sure.  And also refer to the hello package, the biggest hello world
in the world.

From some document:

Before working on packages you should have gone through the Debian
Policy Manual
    <URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/index.html>
and the Packaging Manual
    <URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/packaging-manual/index.html>
and you should be subscribed to debian-devel@lists.debian.org.  This
list is used for the majority of technical stuff.  A description on
how to un/subscribe and a description of the mailing lists can be
found <URL:ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/mailing-lists.txt>

If you plan to make a Debian package from a not yet packaged piece of
software you have to make your intention public on the debian-devel
mailing list to make sure nobody else is working on them.  Better cc
it to wnpp@debian.org so it get's noted.

If you have some spare time and want to contribute it to Debian you
should take a look at the "Work-Needing and Prospective Packages for
Debian GNU/Linux" also known as WNPP that can be found at
<URL:ftp://ftp.debian.org/doc/package-developer/prospective-packages.html>

Regards,

	Joey

--
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.