Re: Modula-3

Hello Luis!  :-)

On Mon, Jun 29, 1998 at 06:39:16PM +0100, Luis Francisco Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi,
> I am interested in contacting lamble@debian.lib.monash.edu.au who said he
> would package a modula-3 compiler. This address fails to accept incoming
> emails so I am hoping somebody on this list can contact this person.

Check out:

	http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~lamble/modula-3/

And the notes file there:

  Pretty much everything else that needs to be documented will be documented
  in the debian/ directory. Any queries, feel free to email me:
    lamble@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au    (to the end of February 1998, possibly
                                    beyond)
    sjl@debian.lib.monash.edu.au    (if lamble@yoyo fails.)

  I don't have much access to the Internet at the moment, so I may take up to
  a week to respond. (I generally login during weekends, and -- rarely --
  during the week.) With luck, I'll be able to get a second phone line Real
  Soon Now; when that happens, I will be obtaining my own account with an ISP,
  and looking to get back into the project.

  Cheers.

OTOH, you might also like to check out PM3 (Polytechnique Modula-3, based
on SRC Modula-3) made by Prof. Michel Dagenais at l'École Polytechnique de
Montréal.  They have packaged pm3-1.1.7 (based on SRC) for Red Hat 5.0
(libc6), and some users seem to have reported success compiling the
package on Debian Hamm.  A copy of the .src.rpm package and an older .spec
file is sitting in ~foka/ on master, so you might like to check it out.
:-)  (Also see "http://m3.polymtl.ca/m3/";)

Personally, I think it would be easiest to make a Debian Modula-3 package
based on PM3 and its RPM source.  PM3 contains many patches to SRC
Modula-3 to make it work under Linux and especially glibc2.  But then, we
could definitely use Stuart Lamble's contribution too.  Besides, it would
be neat to have both PM3 and SRC Modula-3 in Debian.  I guess.  I wonder
if there is much difference.  :-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling        Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca     University of Alberta, Canada