Re: Dynamic ip (was: Re: apt: Uses bogus ftp password on ftp:// urls)

Florian Hinzmann <f.hinzmann@public.uni-hamburg.de> writes:

> The biggest problem that remains is sendmail.  I had some discussion
> about that with their mail address for questions
> (sendmail@sendmail.org), but wasn't able to solve my problems yet (I
> didn't spend much time trying the last weeks, either).

I switched to exim some while back, and I've been very happy.  So I
can't really comment on whether or not I'd still be having the problem
with sendmail :>

> The goal I did not manage to archive yet is: I send mail
> locally, it gets queued by sendmail and when I dialup
> to my ISP it gets sent out _and_ not rejected by some
> mailer outside with a very restrictive setup, which
> detects some "pumuckl" or "lan.local" things in the header
> and sends my mail back. Back to pumuckl.lan.local where it
> never arrives.  <sigh>

With some of the more restrictive (and probably broken) spam
protection configurations, you may never be able to achive this goal.
To avoid that problem, I have exim set up to use our main mail machine
on campus as a "smarthost", so all outgoing mail gets routed through
there.

> As I said: I am testing different setups and hope I am able to get
> this thing running with dynamic ip as smoothly as boxes with fixed
> addresses.

Doubtful.  Unless a lot of things change, dynamic-IP's will always be
"second-class" citizens.  But you can get pretty close...