Re: qpopper - new license. Is this OK?

miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg) writes:

> Qpopper 2.52 has just been released by qualcomm. It is accompanied
> by a new license, and I wonder if it is DFSG compliant.. could someone
> comment on this please?
>
> I specifically wonder what they mean with "Distributors".

> QUALCOMM grants to Distributors a nonexclusive, nontransferable
> license to use, distribute and sublicense the QPOPPER Software to
> its end user customers, subject to the provisions of this Agreement.
> Distributor's sublicenses will not be materially inconsistent with the
> terms and conditions of this license regarding the rights granted and
> obligations imposed upon Distributor by QUALCOMM.

They grant a nontransferable license to sublicense the software?
What's the difference between transfering a license and sublicensing
the software? What does sublicensing mean? Is it allowed to sublicense
the software using a new license, or shall the license used for
sublicensing have some similiarity to the existing license?

IMHO this license is contradictory.

Another nit: They grant only the right to distribute etc. to end
users. According to common meaning of "end user" this doesn't cover
the whole distribution chain of Debian software. If I were fetching
the software in order to prepare a CD for some reseller, I would
distribe the software to a non-"end user".

-> non-free

	Sven

BTW: I've been going through all the non-free packages' licenses in
order to make some educated guess about the legal conditions of
distributing this software on CD-ROM. It's simply unbelievable how
much energy and creativity people have invested into creating
contradictory, bogus and stupid licenses ...
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>
http://www.sax.de/~sr1/