Re: Uploaded dpkg-awk 0.7 (source all) to master

On Wed, Jul 01, 1998 at 05:09:25PM -0700, Ben Gertzfield wrote:
> Just for kicks, I've written a small Perl module that lets you know if
> a package is installed with an is_installed() method, and returns the
> current status of any package in a hash (or a scalar, if called in
> scalar context) with a status() method.
>
> Here it is:
[...]

Another example of doing things the Wrong Way (as Ian jackson said).
Relaying in the current format of dpkg databases is a big nono.  Bigger
for your script, as we have dpkg-perl that AFAIK does the Right Thing.

Please, please, stop promoting tools that read dpkg databases directly.
That will only make the transition to a different (faster, easier,
cleaner, ...) format more difficult.

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es