Re: kaffe? (was: Re: On java programs & main/contrib

On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 08:01:37PM +0200, Vincent Renardias wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > It is listed in the wnpp as a package looking for a new maintainer.
> > It is not really free, because it needs classes.zip, but is the best we
> > have now (am I right?).
>
> Right, although in a while the "Kore" class library should be able to
> replace it...

So it seems that it is important to track the akffe development.

> > Vincent, what are your plans with kaffe? Everybody? I probably would take
> > kaffe if nobody is willing to, but would probably feel more comfortable
> > if somebody took it with more java knowledge than me. Or are you just
> > waiting for a free kaffe? (wasn there some rumour about kaffe being complete
> > soon?)
>
> I have no plan with it... I don't program in java anymore, and don't have
> much time for packaging.

Ok.

> I orphaned kaffe in March 1997 (or so). Jim Pick told he would adopt it,
> but never uploaded it. Ean told me he started to work on it about 1 month
> ago, but still no upload AFAIK...

Maybe someone of the interested persons is reading this?

Am I right that some people who signed a NDA regarding to jdk would be
interested but not be able to package kaffe? (I remember reading something
along those lines some time ago).

> Kaffe is not trivial to package, but some of my packages (gdb, wine) are
> much worse... What it really needs is some coordination with the
> maintainer of the jdk package since kaffe and the jdk package shared a lot
> of file diversions.

Okay. I have some time after next week. If nobody steps forward, I'll take a
look at it. It's time for me to imrpve my package skills anyway. If I take
it, I'll try to contact jdk maintainer about coexistence etc.

Thank you,
Marcus