Re: emacs -> emacs19. Why?

Hi,

	Well, there was some confusion as to what should inherit the
 emacs mantle. emacs20 was a definite contender, as was the old emacs
 19.34. To an extent, even XEmacs has some claim to that. It was
 decided to switch the name to emacs{19,20,21,...}; the problem does
 not lie there. (there still people running 18.59, a wonderfull emacs
 version, and the only one that, rumor has it, runs on a palm III)

	The problem actually is that the old emacs package apparently
 does not work any more because of rpath problems (I switched before
 the problem was triggered, so this is hearsay).

	If the original emacs had continued to work, the name change
 would not have caused a problem. It is unfortunate that that rpath
 problem was not fixed; perhaps an recompiled emacs should be created?
 That would prevent emacs breaking on upgrade.

	In my _opinion_, you are over stating the confusion caused to
 users -- I think most people would surely discover the nerw world
 order? Not that that is an excuse for the glitch during the upgrade.

	I am not conviced that the need for backwards compatibility is
 strong enough to warrant this change, especially as I think the
 confusion is likely to be momentary, but that is merely an opinion.

	The emacsen change should be emblazoned in the Release notes
 for this version.

	manoj
--
 An optimist believes we live in the best world possible; a pessimist
 fears this is true.