Re: apt: Uses bogus ftp password on ftp:// urls

    >> Debian Release: 2.0 Kernel Version: Linux nowhere 2.0.33 #8 Fri
    >> May 8 10:28:28 CEST 1998 i586 unknown

    Dan> There's your problem!  Your hostname seems to be 'nowhere',
    Dan> which is not a legitimate hostname.  I've never found a
    Dan> really good solution, but the best seems to be to give
    Dan> yourself some iminary hostname and add it to /etc/hosts - but
    Dan> it has to have more than one segment.

It's only part of the problem. The problem is that an internal Perl
module that guesses your FQDN doesn't guess right on some machines
(depending on what's in /etc/hosts).

There's a patch in CVS to work aroudn this problem that will be in
apt 0.0.18.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters D and A and the number 18.
"Bill Gates is a talented evil man." -- Chip Salzenberg