Re: Gothenburg -> Vancouver

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> I hate you :) I hate you all :)).
>
> For $60 Canadian, you would neither get a cable nor a modem and *never ever*
> get a full time connection here in Germany.

While we're off topic, I just made a truly aggravating discovery, and
I wanted to see if anyone here had suggestions.  Time Warner Cable is
about to roll out the "RoadRunner" cable modems here for $40-50 a
month, and I'm on the early notification list.  They just announced
the upcoming release and posted a FAQ.  When I read the FAQ, I got an
uneasy feeling when I saw "supported OSes: Win95/NT/Mac", so I sent
mail asking if I might be allowed to try it with Linux anyway.  Here's
what they said:

  Subject: rr response
  To: <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>

  I am so sorry, but it is Road Runner/ Time Warner Cable policy to only =
  support NT and Win 95/Mac.  We are sorry for the inconvenience, but for =
  the success of our program, those operation systems really run the most =
  efficiently.

  Time Warner Cable

Barf.

Now my question, since I don't know too much about cable modems, is
what's the chance that I could get one of these (by letting them
install it for Win95 on a useless partition) and then set it up under
Debian?  I know they're using Motorola cable modems that connect to
your machine via an ethernet card, and I know that you get a dynamic
IP whenever you initially fire up your computer and click their "start
button", but that's the extent of my knowledge.  Mainly I don't know
if they've got some proprietary way to configure the connection.

Thanks

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>