Re: Hamm Beta: Delay #1

Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:

> Just to be sure I understand...  emacs20 has to be configured before
> cvs-pcl is _installed_ or before cvs-pcl is _configured_?

Actually, now it seems like the problem in this case is that cvs-pcl
currently has a dependency on emacsen-common rather than emacsen.
This means that it's possible to have cvs-pcl installed with
emacsen-common, but without *any* flavor of emacs.  This is not
something I had anticipated when developing the emacs add-on code, so
I'm not surprised it breaks things.

While I don't know exactly what's causing the problem, it seems that
installing cvs-pcl along with (or after) a flavor of emacs works fine.
Given that, changing cvs-pcl's dependency from emacsen-common to
emacsen should fix the problem.  Accordingly I've filed important bugs
against the three packages that had this problem.

> Since you're unfamiliar with pkg-order, it sounds like starting to use
> it could be a source of other problems.  I'd rather avoid that.

Actually, Manoj pointed out that I should probably just use tsort,
though I haven't figured out yet whether you can actually call dpkg
--status or use the perl dpkg modules from within a postinst
(i.e. recursive dpkg entry).

Anyway, I think that the dependency changes will fix our current
problem, and given that, I think that the dependency code should wait
for slink.  I would like to upload a new version of emacsen common for
frozen that makes the add-on package dependency issue explicit.

Thanks

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>