RFC: The BTS, "Severity: Fixed", etc. (Was: An idea for the BTS)

Yann Dirson writes:
 > Sure, but it would be nice to have some sort of a mechanism to help us
 > to deal with bugs and dists.
 >
 > I think that we should keep the state of each bug-report regarding
 > each dist (stable/frozen/unstable/experimental).

Thinking backward, I don't like my last proposal so much.  Here is a
new one:

The main issue is still about how to handle the status of bug reports
wrt each distribution.

As I see it, the `Status' of a bug-report (I suggest at least: clear,
reported, identified, known-workaround, known-fix, fixed) is an issue
that is othogonal to the `Severity' (as used for now: wishlist,
normal, important, grave, critical) - eg. the fact that a bug was
fixed (eg. by a NMR) does not mean it is not important any more.

This means I don't think the "Fixed severity" as suggested some
monthes ago would be a good thing.  Rather, I'd like to see
implemented some `Status' fields (or whatever they could be called
better), one for each being-worked-on dist (stable, frozen, unstable).

Proposals:

[Note: I don't know much about the internals of the BTS; I hope this
will be accurate enough, though]

* These fields would be named by the codename of the dist
(eg. `hamm_status') - can this be achieved easily ?

* Their possible values and meanings of these would be:

Clear: the bug never shown up in this dist (case where the bug appears
in a new upstream release)

Reported: default state - nobody know yet what is the cause of the
problem

Identified: the bug logs describe the problem.  This status is aimed
at those bugs which are hard to fix, and such situations.  Ususally a
status will directly go from `reported' to `known-workaround',
`known-fix' or even `fixed'.

Known-workaround: there is no know fix yet, but the bug logs describe
a way or working around this bug.

Known-fix: a fix is known, maybe described in the bug logs.  Usually
a new upload will follow shortly, turning this status into `Fixed'.

Fixed: the last release in this dist fixes the bug.

* A new field in each record of the bug DB would be created when a new
unstable dist is created, inheriting its value from the last one
(eg. slink_status would have inherited from hamm_status).

* When a new bug is reported, the status for each being-worked-on dist
defaults to `reported', unless specified in the pseudo-header (valid
values here: all but `Fixed')

* When a package is installed fixing a bug, the status for the
relevant dist should be set to `Fixed' by `dinstall' (instead of
setting `severity' to `Fixed' as was formerly suggested).

* The status can be modified using `control@bugs' using lines with a
syntax like:

status <bug-number> <dist-name> <new-status>

This is just a first draft, and may be lacking some important issues.

As usual, comments are more than welcome ;)

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@mygale.org> | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
isp-email:   <ydirson@a2points.com> |     support Debian GNU/Linux: