Re: About the Hamm Freeze (!)

> > I was told that dselect has problems with hamm being distributed on
> > more than one cd rom.  Ian Jackson suggested that we should take a
> > look at dpkg-mountable.  This means that a) dpkg-mountable might need
> > to be included in the boot floppies and b) we'll need at least one another
> > set of boot floppies - or someone invents a different method for this.

I believe Dale fit the i386 distribution (the largest, I assume) on 1 CD
with about 30k to spare1  <whew!>  Dale, please correct me if I misunderstood.

> Erk. dpkg-mountable has at least one problem which might cause problems: it
> currently doesn't support predependencies. If the autoup.sh script takes care
> of all predependencies, that's fine; otherwise, people are going to have to
> export DPKG_MOUNTABLE_PREDEP_SUPPORT=yes before their first upgrade.
>
> The only reason for this is that I wanted to get the other bugfixes into Hamm
> but I didn't have time to test it well enough. If it is necessary, it'd be
> good if people could test running with this and let me know if it works or not
> (I'm fairly sure, based on later experiments, that it will), and if there's
> time I'll upload a version with predepends support enabled by default.

If it's necessary (i.e. Debian sits on multiple CDs) and passes testing
then changing this to enable predependencies by default is okay.  This
should be the _only_ change, though.

> (I also have another change which installs packages in order of priority,
> which is in my local tree, but unfortunately I coded too long after freeze for
> it to make it in. If people want it I'm happy to upload this too, though.)

I'd rather not.  It worries me.  Let's see if it is neccessary, first.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )