Re: Propersel for standerd configuration system.

> The layout of the registry will be similar to Microsoft's windows
> registry however it will be far more powerful.
> So what do you think of this idea?

IMHO The registry is the main reason that on Windows the solution to every
problem is ``re-install from scratch''.

What happens when you get a bad block in the registry ?  It doesn't just screw
one program, it wreaks havoc across the entire system.

A bug in the server/wachdog, and you get a similar result.

A security bug in just about any of the software involved, and you can expect
every program on the system to be compromised.

When you need to do disaster recovery, having the real configuration hidden in
a binary database is a nightmare.

Sorry, but as you can probably tell, (to quote Groucho Marx):

  Before you've even started or commenced it, I'm against it.

Now, linuxconf is another matter, because that automates the editing of
the files that were there already.

Wasn't someone supposed to be packaging linuxconf ?  If that someone happens
to be me, could someone remind me of the fact ;-)

Cheers, Phil.