Re: RFC: packaging kernel modules

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:

> It does not seem that we have currently any conventions regarding the
> packaging of kernel modules.  I just tried the new alsadriver from
> slink, and, for the same reason I could not use the packaged joystick
> driver, this one too is useless to me.

Hm, we should really talk to the kernel people.. but here is my thoughts,
  #1 - If person X compiles a module for kernel x.x.x and it doesn't work
       on your compile of x.x.x then you need to recompile your kernel.
       [General rule, most modules don't try to deduce what symbols are
        available]
  #2 - Many modules will likely work on a series of kernels depending on
       the extent of the interfaces used and other issues.

In the case of alsa I think it should compile for 2.0 and go into the 2.0/
modules directory that appears to be on my machine.

The proper solution is to simply get the kernel people to version the API
and allow modules to declare an API version requirement, or just stabalize
the module API.

Jason