Re: Corel Network Computer Port

Jim Pick wrote:

> Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu> writes:
>
> > > I bet we could brow-beat Corel into donating a few boxes.  I heard
> > > they go as cheap as $300 US for a diskless configuration.
> >
> > It's all just rumors, I've heard nothing back from them.  We might
> > have to brow-beat them into selling boxes.
>
> You could also try touching base with the Ottawa-Carleton LUG.
>
>   http://www.oclug.on.ca/
>
> They're pretty plugged into Corel.

That's a bit of an understatement.  OCLUG provided the expertise and
kernel knowledge to get the Netwinder out the door.  I.e. Several OCLUG
members were part of the team at Corel that got the Netwinder out the
door.  That's why Corel is being so nice to them and giving OCLUG people
discounts, etc...

> We've got a few developers in Ottawa (Brian White, Behan Webster, ???)
> - we might be able to ask them to do some footwork if need be.

They are only giving discounts to OCLUG members, but since I'm in OCLUG,
I could probably approach the appropriate people to do some enquiries.
I wouldn't hold your breath though.  OCLUG is very RedHat based.

As far as I know Corel Computer Corp is making a bank of Netwinders
available to the net.  You have to setup login permissions through
OCLUG.  I'll make some enquiries...

How many developpers are we talking here?  Last I heard they were
looking for a few good hackers, especially kernel hackers.  They still
have kernel features that they would like to see implemented too.  Maybe
I'm opening a pandora's box here, but which Debian Developpers are
interested in getting access to or buying a netwinder, etc? (Last I
heard Corel is thinking of $1000 (CDN I think) per netwinder).

Brian and I were at the Netwinder kick off at Carleton U when OCLUG
announched Netwinder to the world.  It is a nifty little box which is
quite fast and _very_ feature-full.

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com