Re: so what? Re: Debian development modem

On Mon, Jun 08, 1998 at 08:02:05PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> Martin Schulze <joey@kuolema.Infodrom.North.DE> wrote:
> > This again means that we need to encourage more maintainers to work on
> > multi-package-solution and to skip the 300-mini-cathedral-situation.
> > Only few people are working on package that are not maintained by
> > them, this needs to be re-considered.
>
> I'm not sure that can be completely avoided. "The Cathedral and the
> Bazaar" doesn't replace "The Mythical Man Month", it supplements it.
>
> As I recall, development has an exponential communications cost as the
> group size increases, while testing is highly parallelizable.
>
> In other words, I think we need a small "danger team" to go in and put
> on the last few bits of spit and polish we need for release.

I'm not sure how dangerous it is to touch this topic, but what about this:

Maybe we should raise our demands to our developers: We should probably make
clear *before* someone wants to become a developer that the job of a
developer is not only care about the packages he/she maintains, but also the
quality of the whole distribution. This can mean that he should cooperate on
general solutions as well as active work on other packages at release time.

I know that this is a volunteer organization, but hey, nobody is forced to become
a developer. I hope you don't get me wrong: Everybody should act as he/she
can, I don't mean that someone should be forced to work on things he/she
doesn't understand or has no time for.

I know that this already done so by most to all of the active developers,
but maybe this can prevent "some small cathedrals" among us.

Am I talking non-sense here? Comments?

Marcus