Re: Problems with the undead (zombies)

    Stephen> I was hacking around on xfstt earlier today.

 Neat.  I packed up the ttf files from the Windows[1] that came with
 my Laptop, and am going to try them with `xfstt' after I get Debian
 2.0 installed on it.  :-)

    Stephen> This SEEMS to work fine (I havn't really given it a good
    Stephen> test -YET) except when I connect and then
    Stephen> disconnect...the child exists (via _exit(0)) after the
    Stephen> client disconnects. The problem is that the child then
    Stephen> become a zombie.

    Stephen> I installed a signal handler for SIGCHLD which does
    Stephen> nothing what should I do? how can I make th eparent clean
    Stephen> up its little zombie children?

 You can tell it to `IGN' SIGCHLD, and get automatic reaping, if I
 remember right.

 Read `man wait', `man sigaction', and any xrefs you find there.  The
 `info libc' is very good.  You can use `M-x info-look' in emacs, with
 the cursor on a symbol, and it will go and find the documentation on
 the symbol in the info.

 Buy, beg, borrow, or steal a copy of W. Richard Stevens' "Advanced
 Programming in the Unix Environment".  It covers signal handling, and
 lots more.

Footnotes:
[1]  I also snagged the `monitor*.inf' files; so I can get the scan
     rate for my lcd panel laptop display.  I wonder if it's legal to
     run a perl processor on that and convert it to an XFree86
     compatible monitor database, then distribute it?