Re: On adding size info to Packages files

On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 02:23:02PM +0200, Brederlow wrote:
> Michael Bramer <michael@grisu.weh.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
> > [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> > On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 02:25:39AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > dinstall get the size.gz file from the .deb file (ar -x) and put it to the
> > cache area. I don't see the difference?
> > (And for old .deb files: dinstall unpack the .deb file in /tmp/../ and make
> > the size.gz-file)
>
> SO I have to downlaod 15 MB of xbooks, just to get told that it wont
> fit? BAD IDEA.

Oh no.
If you update or download with apt or dselect, then apt or dselect get
Packages_du.gz befor it download the .deb files. So it can check the space on
the disk and make warnings.
(dinstall make the Packages_du.gz (like Packages.gz) from the .deb files.
dinstall get size.gz from the 'news' .deb files or make a size.gz from the 'old'
deb files)
But if you download from the ftp-server by yourself and install the dep file
with dpkg, then you haven't a disk check. Only if the du information is in the
deb file, dpkg can make a check.

> > You need the information when you install a package on your debian system.
> > I think it is a nice to download only one file to install the package. I
> > get often packages with ftp from a mirror and install the packages with:
> > dpkg -i *.deb. If the the size information isn't in the debian-package, then i
> > must download two files (NAME-VERSION.deb and NAME-VERSION.size.gz) or dpkg
> > has no information of the size and can not make a warning message. :-(
> >
> > We have seperate package-functions and the interface. This is a very good.
> > You can install package with:
> >   dpkg
> >   dselect (with use dpkg)
> >   apt (with use also dpkg)
> > The du-information is a information like name, version, depends etc.
> > The right place is the .deb-file.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> If you want only one file per package, than stuff it into the
> Packages.gz file (probably making a Packages_du.tgz containing
> Packages and du_index, and Packages.gz).
>
> If the du info is in the .deb, one has to download it to see if the
> file will fit and say dselect or apt can't give informations about
> needed size.

I say: Put the du information in the .deb files and make (on master) from this
the packages_du.gz file. In this case all installer (like apt and dselect) can
download packages_du.gz and make a check befor it download all .deb files. But
also dpkg can check the disk space (with the information in the .deb file)

If we have du information only on a seperate file, only dselect and apt can
make a check :-(

Grisu