Re: On adding size info to Packages files [very long]

In message <[🔎] q9iumlm5zi.fsf@fphp16.tphys.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>,
Brederlow writes:

>Would that already be a correct Packages file or would dpkg and
>similar scream about wrong entries? Could old dpkg's handle the new
>entries?

It seems to work for me.  Any entries that are not recognised are ignored
or passed through unchanged.

>Theres another possibility:
>Normal users wont backup their System, repartition differently and
>restore the backup (at least not often). Also they wont move
>directories around and link them often. We could thus trimm the du
>tree down to what the current system reflects. In case the user does

I don't think this will gain much...  It's probably easier to separate
the size information from the packages file; after all, it isn't needed
either during normal operation or when removing packages, only when you're
installing new packages.  The rest of the time it needn't be kept locally.

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>